Over the past few years, there is aggressive usage of big data in organizations including corporate, SMEs as well as the upcoming start-ups. This is increasing the jobs in Data Analytics for people who want to pursue a stable career in this sector. Big data as their core skill, candidates are getting employed in various sectors like banking, education, hospitality, government, tourism, healthcare, manufacturing and many more.
According to a report, Bengaluru is the top city where you can find the highest big data related jobs. This city alone holds 40 percent share of the total job market and this is quite impressive. Among other cities where there is a high demand for big data professionals are in Pune, Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Chennai.
Big data was a buzz word in 2016, but in 2017 it is growing steadily and is booming very rapidly in the Indian job market. Many start-ups are showing special interests in big data and are offering huge job opportunities to the professionals who have a comprehensive and proficient knowledge in big data. Market research companies like Gartner, IDC have claimed that in 2017, the demand for data scientists grow hastily and by 2020.
IDC says, By 2020, 50% of All Business Analytics Software Will Incorporate Prescriptive Analytics Built On Cognitive Computing Functionality.
Some prerequisite skills for big data
The person who wants to make a career in big data must possess certain knowledge of programming languages like C, C++, Java, Python, PERL, PHP, DOT NET, etc. He or she must require some technical skills also. Below, are mentioned some prerequisite skills that a person should possess if he or she is planning for a brilliant career in the field of big data.
- Must be equipped with at least one big data technology like Hadoop
- Should have sufficient knowledge of programming and scripting languages like Java and Python.
- An extensive knowledge of database management and SQL.
- A good idea of data modelling and rational database.
- Should have an in-depth idea and knowledge of statistical tools like Excel and SAS.
Salary scale in India
In India, the demand for the people who have a sound knowledge of big data is huge but currently, there is a huge shortage of the proper skills. At an entry level, a person with a master degree in big data with less than a year of experience can expect a salary package of near about 4 -6lakhs per annum. Professionals in between 1-4 years of experience can expect a salary between 5.6 lakhs per annum. The picture below from Payscale shows more details.
The demand for big data is not only in India, but there is a huge demand for it in the international market also. Countries like USA, Australia, etc. are constantly looking for the people who have an in-depth and good knowledge of big data. In Australia, the average salary of a data scientist is near about $130,000 per annum.
Exciting big data jobs that are very demanding in terms of career aspect
- Data analyst: They usually invest their time in analysing data systems and used to create automated systems for retrieving information from multiple databases and prepare reports.
- Database administrator: They are responsible in tracking the day-to-day work of an organization’s database. They modify, update and maintain safe backups.
- Data scientist: They analyse raw data and present their findings to the management of the company in such a way so that they can take smart decisions.
- Data architect: They take care of all the aspects of a database.
- Database manager: They are the leaders of the data team to maintain a company’s whole database environment.
The career opportunities for Big Data professionals with sound knowledge and skill-set is increasing globally. In India there are many factors like large population, blooming start-ups, the growing economy, consumer driven market and the flourishing e-commerce that are demanding Big Data Analytics reports for sustaining in a competitive market.